Safety & privacy
Computers and the Internet have become an integral part of our everyday life. They among the greatest technological developments of recent decades. The Internet offers many advantages to the working world as well as in leisure time. Young people use these media for entertainment and as a tool for school.
There are users in all age groups who become dependent upon computer games and internet use. This can lead to a withdrawal from the real world. They neglect social contacts, school or work. These children find distraction, recognition and rewards in the virtual world. Therefore, they must learn how to use screen-based media responsibly; they should only use those aspects that are suitable for their age. Parents have an important role to play, alongside teachers. They should be interested in what their children are doing on the Internet. Parents must also work on their own media competence and be aware of current developments.
The following questions are important for parents / grandparents:
- What technical options are available for the protection of children and young people?
- Which aspects of the internet are suitable for children / young people?
- Which webpages does the child/teenager look at?
- Does the child/teenager participate in online games? If yes, which ones?
- What movies do they watch?
- Do they download music/pictures?
- Which social media networks do they use?
- How and with whom do they communicate in the digital world?